Saturday, September 8, 2012

Grandma Johns

Grandma Johns passed away last week, and her funeral was today.  I laughed at the funeral as everyone spoke of her traits that we all loved.  She meant a lot to a lot of people.  As I was sitting with her last Sunday, I was holding her hand and admiring her fingernails.  I always wanted grandmas fingernails.  As a teenager I would go and paint her nails.  I think she just let me do it, so we could visit and chat.  I remember when she made my wedding dress, or as a kid if I was wearing too short of shorts or skirt she would say "why don't you have a party and invite your shorts/skirt down?"  I remember spending a lot of time at her house, spending lots of nights in her bed.  Or the time I was with Carrie and our cousin and we broke the sofa bed out in the family room, grandma didn't get mad.  I think that was the same night we were standing on the bed and broke the light too.  I remember being scared as a little kid when grandma had her teeth out.  I remember her reading her scriptures and her Sunday School manuel.  I remember her sitting at her kitchen table playing solitare looking out the window to see what was going on.  And all the dinners she prepared and clothes she sewed.  I have so many memories of my grandma, and I love her very much. 

1 comment:

Jana Lyn said...

Such sweet, fun memories. I'm glad you could laugh and remember all the wonderful times.