Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pinewood Derby

We survived. I was beginning to wonder if we would, as I was walking into the church tonight. All the kids were walking in with their cars carefully placed in boxes with cushion (I didn't even think of that) and looks of concentration on their faces. The dads were walking in with their tool boxes in hand and the same look on their face. I was sent home to retrive the brush that was forgotten (the wheels just wouldn't have been the same without the extra graphite, and this little brush was the best way to apply it, so I was told). We walked into the gym and the "derby referee" had his scale and tools and computer all set up. He has been doing this for 24 years. He had everything down to a science. There has always been this pinewood derby world going on that I completely knew nothing about!! I seriously thought we would put these cars on the track and race it once and it would all be done. Oh I was wrong! Each car raced 12 times. So when it was all said and done, Owen's little crayon box won 4th place (out of about 20). He was very excited. Davis even got to race his car at the end. he got first (out of two).







And as you can see, Ally wasn't too impressed with the whole thing. When she wasn't running around screaming and trying to jump off the stage she was on the floor throwing a fit to go outside and play.

No comments: