On Saturday evening Davis was injured. He and some friends were in the backyard lighing off fireworks. They were down to the last one for the evening around 10 pm and that is when I was upstairs and heard Davis run in the house screaming "mom, I was hit." I think that is up there with the worst fear I have ever felt. He was in shock and very scared just saying over and over "mom, I need to go to the doctor." I had one of those moments where I knew I needed to take him to the ER, so we got in the car and off we went not knowing what we were dealing with. Once there I got the story of what happend. They had put a firework in a Powerade bottle and put the lid on. Davis lit it and ran, but for some reason at the exact total wrong time he turned back and that lid from the bottle shot right into his eye. He saw a bright flash, then nothing. The doctor did some tests and conversed with an opthamologist. Davis was still unable to see anything and it was starting to hit home that maybe he wouldn't have vision in his left eye permanantly. After a few hours we were able to go home with medicines to administer hourly, an eye patch, instructions to sleep sitting up, and an appointment the next day. Davis and I made it through the night and went to the appointment Sunday morning. First impression, the doctor was amazed. He said he was scared after talking to the ER doctor for what he would be looking at. He gave Davis a quick exam and sent us on our way feeling quite optimistic. Well, that brief optimisim was a nice break from the reality of Davis's injury. Because we went back today and although I still liked the doctor and he was still a nice guy, his whole mood and impressions changed as he looked into Davis's eye again. He stated he had never seen such corneal swelling. He saw bleeding behind the eye, which he hadn't seen on Sunday. Davis's eye was just a blank stare. It was scary to look at it and see it not moving, it wasn't tracking with his right eye. I had misunderstood the doctor thinking he had said he was confident Davis would recover, because today he just said he was hopeful. But the reality was that his eye was severely traumatized and may never recover. After months of treatment he may need a cornea transplant. Wow, how do we deal with this? Davis skis, plays football, basketball, he longboards, he loves to run and be active, he wants to be a doctor. But how is he going to be Davis if he is blind
in one eye. He's had a blessing, and many family and friends and praying for him and we have faith that he will recover. He knows it is going to take a long time, and it will be so hard to be patient and listen to the doctor, but if he gets his eyesight back it will all be worth it. Right now he is on very restricted acivity because of the swelling and bleeding in the eye and the fact that the lid left an open wound on his eye. Hopefully once the would heals and the swelling and bleeding stop his restrictions will be lifted as he waits and we all pray that the cornea is able to heal itself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
I'm so, so sorry this happened to Davis. Hope you are all doing okay and were able to still celebrate the 4th. We're praying for you all.
Post a Comment