Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Bad Genes

A couple of months ago Davis got glasses.  He has his injured eye and we can't really fix his vision in that eye, but his right eye was getting tired and he had to get a small prescription.  Gator started complaining that she couldn't see the board at school, and I apologized that she too inherited my bad genes.  I took her to the eye doctor and we ordered a pair of glasses for her.  I have been having some problems with extreme burning and leaking eyes and just discomfort.  I haven't been able to wear my contacts for over a year, and I needed a new prescription before I could order a new pair of glasses.  I got some bad kinda scary news at the eye doctor today.  He diagnosed me with Glaucoma.  I didn't know how to respond, I was just a  little bit in shock.  Dr. Richards could tell and he was pretty positive that with this early detection, routine exams, and eye drops for the rest of my life I should be able to keep the progression of vision loss at bay for a while.  But knowing my Great Grandma and my Grandpa Jeppson went blind from Glaucoma terrifies me.  I've always had problems with my eyes, but I've actually always thought if I HAD to pick, I would rather be deaf than blind.  I don't ever want to not be able to see.  I picked up my eye drops and said a prayer and I will have faith that my blindness won't progress.  One good sign is that my prescription actually didn't change at all in the last couple of years, so I am counting that as a win.  

No comments: